July 4, 2014

I side with Maya Peterson

White privilege really sucks. Go read this story about "the first black female student president of The Lawrenceville School, an affluent academy for boarding and day students located in New Jersey". Afterward, perhaps you'll join me in a cheer: "Go, Maya!"

I know, I know. It's the 4th of July and you're busy getting drunk while attempting to increase your weight by eating everything in sight. Maybe these excerpts will pique your interest and make you put that beer can down. Here's Maya speaking for herself:
"Yes, I am making a mockery of the right-wing, confederate-flag hanging, openly misogynistic Lawrentians," Peterson told BuzzFeed. "If that's a large portion of the school's male population, then I think the issue is not with my bringing attention to it in a lighthearted way, but rather why no one has brought attention to it before."
At least one alumnus is on her side:
"The fact that Maya and friends were reprimanded for throwing up black power signs that made white students uncomfortable but these white students are never, to my knowledge, reprimanded for making black students uncomfortable is the definition of racism."
This story raised my hackles. When an underdog fights back, he or she is usually crushed by the powers that be. That's what happened to Maya Peterson. And it's wrong.

No comments: