March 9, 2013

They should do something about the light

Here we go again. It's time to set the clocks ahead and bring back the light. As a longstanding member of the Curmudgeon Party, I protest. How dare they cancel evening darkness without my permission?

I know people enjoy daylight savings time. It means they can leave work at 5 pm and still have an opportunity to enjoy the day. And there's something to this, I must admit. But it pales next to the lost opportunity to bask in the darkness and banish light's glare from our precious computer screens.

I used to love leaving work when it was already dark at 4:45 pm. Just loved it. As far as I'm concerned, nighttime is the real time. It's when our dreams come out to play. Everything comes to life then, including us. When the lights are extinguished, life is flush with excitement and possibilities.

So here's what I suggest. Let's limit the daylight to certain hours and leave it that way all year round. I say we let the light shine from 7 am until 3:30 pm (so the kiddies can get home from school). And then darkness falls abruptly. No more of that twilight nonsense; it comes down like a curtain. Boom.

I mean, what do you like better? Day or night? I rest my case.

2 comments:

Anna Guess Pick said...

I couldn't agree with you more with just one caveat, that we don't increase the need for more electricity coming from nuclear power plants. Embrace the candle.

writenow said...

Agreed. There shouldn't be ANY nuclear power plants in our country. I'm with you 100%.