March 24, 2013

Anne Frank's tree

I really like this idea:
Saplings from the chestnut tree that stood as a symbol of hope for Anne Frank as she hid from the Nazis for two years in Amsterdam are being distributed to 11 locations in the United States as part of a project that aims to preserve her legacy and promote tolerance. 
If you've read Anne Franke's diary, you know that this tree meant a lot to her. Here's an excerpt from her diary:
"Nearly every morning I go to the attic to blow the stuffy air out of my lungs," she wrote on Feb. 23, 1944. "From my favorite spot on the floor I look up at the blue sky and the bare chestnut tree, on whose branches little raindrops shine, appearing like silver, and at the seagulls and other birds as they glide on the wind." 
It's right that this tree should live on and give hope to others. One of the saplings will be grown at the 9/11 memorial. Very nice. 

No comments: