January 4, 2013

This makes me feel old

Has it really been 50 years since the first James Bond movie?
Producers Craig Zadan and Neil Meron announced Friday that the [Oscars] show will pay tribute to the 50th anniversary of the James Bond film franchise, which they describe as "the longest-running motion picture franchise in history and a beloved global phenomenon." 
I remember seeing "Doctor No" in Times Square with a gay cousin in 1962. I was 14 at the time. My cousin had a plain brown bag in his hand when he arrived at the theater. We paid our admission fees and ran for the balcony, where we could smoke. Newports, I think. 

I was surprised when he opened the bag and offered me a cheddar cheese and mayo sandwich. I had never seen anyone bring food into a movie theater. And cheddar cheese was entirely new to me. I thought it was the best sandwich I'd ever had and we both loved the movie, probably because of Sean Connery's chest hair. (And I'm still eating cheddar cheese -- almost every day, in fact. What can I say? I eat boring food.)

But fifty years? Oy.

1 comment:

Anna Guess Pick said...

Hmm, I never took food into a movie theater but I do remember being able to smoke in the balcony. Good times!