October 24, 2012

The hijab: not just for Muslims?

This morning, I read an article in the NYT about Amra Babic, the hijab-wearing mayor of central Bosnian town of Visoko. This led me to read about the hijab in Wikipedia:
The Arabic word literally means curtain or cover (noun). Most Islamic legal systems define this type of modest dressing as covering everything except the face and hands in public. Some interpretations say that a veil is not compulsory in front of blind, asexual or gay men.
I found that last bit amusing. But it also made me think of Christian priests because the concept of hijab applies to men as well as women. The article states that "For men, hijab includes the wearing of modest clothing (not very attractive)." Combine this with the prescription to hide all but the face and hands in public, and you end up with a priest's cassock. Priests in hijab. This idea will stick with me.

No comments: