October 25, 2011

Dying alone vs. having a party

Gawkers at a death scene. Ugh.
Each day I see obituaries that contain variations of these words: "Surrounded by her loving family, Emily Sippolina traipsed off to see Jesus." This gives me chills.

No, not the jeebus nonsense, the "surrounded by family" bit. Surrounded indeed. It sounds positively suffocating. The very last thing I want when I die, is to be "surrounded" by even one person. Get away from me!

I want to die alone. If anyone is "at my side" it will mean that I don't have the energy to scream "Go away, you asshole!" Dying is personal and private. My death involves me and no one else. I want to be alone, unseen and unheard when I die. Get the hell away from me!

Just saying. Your thoughts?

2 comments:

Anna Guess Pick said...

I really would just like to go "poof" - a brief vapor cloud, then nothing. So environmentally friendly.

It would happen so quick it really would matter if there was anyone else around or not.

writenow said...

Nice idea. I think you're describing a nuclear device going off right next to you, or a supernova or being near a comet strike. Big but quick.