April 22, 2011

Question for longtime baseball fans

Big Papi, as if you didn't know.
How did you watch baseball before TiVo came along? I mean, how could you? Baseball is wall-to-wall commercials. It's literally infested with them.

Every pitching change brings a commercial. And if they change pitchers after every single batter: too bad. You get commercials after every change. And not short ones, either.

While the game is on, the announcers inject commercials right into their commentary -- as if it's an old Burns & Allen show, fer god's sake. Even the damn graphics have commercials built into them. And I won't even mention the physical stadium, which is literally tattooed with product names.

Strangest of all is that the commercials themselves come with commercials. I'm always dumbfounded when they got to break, saying "This pitching change brought to you by Toyota." What exactly is the benefit here that I should be thankful Toyota is providing for me? Since the commercial is the only thing "brought to" me during the pitching change, and it's a Taco Bell commercial, I'm not sure what it means to say "this pitching change brought to you by Toyota." It's insane. There are layers upon layers of commercials. Aaaaaargh!

The only way I can watch a game is with one finger hovering over the fast-forward button. And I would never watch a game in real-time. Never.

So, tell me. How did you survive this commercial onslaught in the days before TiVo? I only came to baseball full-time about five years ago. In other words, TiVo was always available to me as a fan. But you didn't have that. So tell me: how the hell did you survive baseball without TiVo?

2 comments:

Anna Guess Pick said...

I guess I've grown numb to ads-in-sports-places. True it's everywhere the eye can see. At least for now their baseball uniforms are not for ad-hire.

What really gets my goat on news and other programs are the moving banners at the bottom of the screen. Now there are banners within banners. Breaking news within Really Breaking news, anchored in one corner by a map with current breaking weather news. Oh did I mention the station's logo? Add that. Soon we will only see the eyes of the talking heads over giant fonts, speaking from unseeable mouths.

writenow said...

My eyes are well-trained and know they're not allowed to look at the moving tickers on the bottom of the screen. I'm always watching recorded games and have two or three to get to in an evening. If I'm not careful, I see the scores from those games on the ticker! So I never ever look down. I think a ton of things in baseball broadcasts should be elective. I want to be able to click a button to remove the ticker. I'd also like to be able to remove the announcers. Wouldn't that be great in a McCarver game?