April 4, 2011

My Times paywall experience

Seems like a clunky paywall to me. So far, it's acted like an ineffective, demented, old man.

Many days ago, a message popped up while I was on the New York Times web site. It said I had five more free stories to read -- and then I'd have to haul out my wallet.

About 30 stories later, yesterday, it told me I had four more free stories to read -- and then I'd really be in trouble.

I've been clicking on their stories all day without a peep from their end. Neat paywall they've got. What's your experience been?

UPDATE: The Times hive-mind finally decided I'd read enough for free. However, I was ready for them. I had already downloaded a nice little "bookmarklet" that cuts right through the paywall and lets you read whatever you'd like. Clicked it and I was in. Still reading the Times for free.

No comments: