February 3, 2011

NOVA ScienceNOW episode on the brain

Did you watch last night's episode of NOVA ScienceNOW? It was about the brain and I was really looking forward to seeing it. The promos implied that the show would focus on how the brain creates the illusion of consciousness. So I was amped when I tuned in. Unfortunately, it was a complete bust.

One thing I have to say at the outset is that I love Neil deGrasse Tyson. He can do no wrong and since he hosted the show, that was a big plus. Tyson is comfortable being a scientist, a showman, a funnyman -- whatever it takes. Science is lucky to have him in its ranks.

But the show focused on old research. I was shocked, really. They showed data that's been out there for a long time. Plus there were silly excursions to magic shows, and the episode relied on cartoons and other useless rot. (I've written before about science shows that include cartoons.) I didn't learn one new thing. Neurological research is uncovering secrets every day, but the show missed them all.

And I see that next week's show, on animal intelligence, is a rehash of an old PBS show featuring Alan Alda. I don't get it. Why show old stuff and make believe it's new? NOVA ScienceNOW? Meh.

4 comments:

Anna Guess Pick said...

Charlie Rose has done a wonderful series on The Brain. I think you would enjoy it. Should be available on HULU, Charlie Rose Show, carried on PBS.

writenow said...

Hmph. Who know? Thanks, Annie. I'll look it up.

Hey, I just finished the edit of Xmas Carol! Woo-hoo! All I have to do is a spell-check and then print it. Here's hoping I enjoy it when I next read it. Whew! What a lot of work.

Anna Guess Pick said...

Hey CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

writenow said...

Thanks! I can't tell you how good I feel. I'm going to soar for the rest of the day.
K