January 10, 2011

On becoming a cartoon

I wonder if I'm alone in a perception I've been having. It seems to me that many of my old friends and acquaintances have turned into cartoons of themselves. Any echoes from the crowd?

I used to respect these people but they've literally morphed into absurd notions of themselves. It's as if they lost their bearings one day and drifted off. I can't even connect the dots between their current and former selves.

I don't know why it happened and I can't talk about it with them because . . . well, they're cartoons. It's bizarre.

Have you seen this phenomenon?

4 comments:

Anna Guess Pick said...

Hmmm, expand on that a bit, Keith,I'm not sure I follow you. I know I have changed over the years, but I think that is a good thing, and I hope I haven't become a cartoon, well except on Facebook, Little Orphan Annie is my current pic.

writenow said...

Changing with the times is the thing that SAVES us from becoming cartoons. It's the people who get stuck in place, and become exaggerated versions of themselves, cartoonized versions, that I'm referring to. Perhaps you haven't seen it. If so, you're lucky. I'm so embarrassed for a few of my old friends. To say more would identify them, and that's not my aim. By the way, you are not a cartoon of anyone, Annie. You're an original and it's easy to see you're growing all the time. That's what I mean: people who DON'T do that.

Anna Guess Pick said...

OK I get it. In that case yes I do know a few cartoons, maybe that's a nicer way of putting it. lol

writenow said...

Ralph Nader is probably a good example of someone who turned into a cartoon of himself.