January 5, 2011

How goes the edit, Keith?

I'm so glad you asked. The edit of Xmas Carol is going swimmingly! For over a week, I've been axing scenes and even whole characters. These are scary activities for a writer.

But as a result I can feel an improved pace in the book. It moves in a way that it didn't before. It's sleeker. On my next go-round I'll only have to ensure that every scene sings -- and then it's done!

On the other hand, it will take a while for me to get there. I'm on the seventh scene of chapter five, and there are 12 chapters. I counted yesterday and there are 75 more scenes to edit. If I do three a day, I'll be done with this edit in 25 days. Not bad.

By the way, I was thinking that a post I put up here last November might serve as a preface for the book. Here's the link (ignore the PS at the end). It might work. Not sure but it's a thought.

4 comments:

Richard Healy said...

*arrives*

Sweet moustache, dude!

writenow said...

I knew you'd arrive in a typically Richard Healy way. Hey! Good to see you here. You have crossed over to us . . . from THE ATHEISTS. And welcome to ya.

My mustache has been with me for many decades and it thanks you for the compliment.

Anna Guess Pick said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you. One of my problems have been that I've been try to write in 'final form' if you get my drift. Today when I started up again, I reset all the formats and started writing. Wow, what a relief it is to just write and worry about editing later. Thank you my mentor.

writenow said...

Good for you, Annie. Yes, never edit as you write. Don't even pause too much over a word. Just keep going. Later on, you'll have all the time in the world to edit. I'm happy to hear you're back on the case.