January 15, 2011

Fun with "religious" quote marks

This morning, Joe.My.God directed my attention to one of those unhinged, wingnut faith sites. It reports on the latest blasphemy against gay people by the popey guy. What I got a kick out of was their inept use of quote marks in a pathetic article pretending that the popey guy isn't simply a megaphone for hatred against gays in the modern world. Here's the first paragraph as they wrote it:
As efforts to legalize same-sex “marriage” proceed in the United States and countries around the world, Pope Benedict issued strong remarks on Jan. 14, saying that gay “marriage” perverts the “essence and goal of the family."
Don't you love it? They put marriage in scare quotes, when really the quote should have been around the word "perverts". That would have painted the full picture right there. The headline should be:

"Popey guy calls gay people 'perverts' again".

But no, they have to put quote marks around the word "marriage" to show that ours couldn't possibly be "real". Great work, guys, but people see him for what he is. The man is hatred walking around in a dress.


And as long as we're talking about the popey guy, it must be a real "hooray" moment for him, now that he's canonizing a prior pope. The popey guy must be thinking: "Whoopee!", followed closely by, "I'm next, I'm next, I'm next!" That's one sweet deal: you make a saint out of an old pope, and the one that comes next makes a saint out of you. As my stepfather would have said, "They got a great racket goin' on there."

I'm sure when they saint the popey guy, they'll give the little twit a Special Halo for his brave stance agaInst the priestly abuse of children. Hahahahahaha. 

PS: How do you like Carmine's new popey guy image? I think he looks like he just did something very wrong. I like it!

3 comments:

cm said...

I for one like the popey guy.

Anna Guess Pick said...

I like Carmine's popey guy. It's nice having your own resident artist. I think maybe the popey guys look is that he see The Worlds coming after him. lol

writenow said...

See, Carmine, you're a hit! And Annie, that's a fun thought: the popey guy reading my blog. I can just see him sitting on a white couch in his white robes and ruby shoes, gasping each time I call him the "popey guy". Fun!