January 19, 2011

The edit marches on

I've been plowing through the edit of Xmas Carol for . . . seemingly ages. This is the most work-intensive edit I've ever done. I'm changing just about everything and at the end of a day of editing, I'm exhausted. It's a huge job.

I have no words of wisdom to impart about editing, not now. I'm so deep in the trench right now, it's hard to see anything except the wall of words surrounding me. This book is long even though I've cut entire scenes (and one character). I can look up to the top of the trench walls and maybe yell a few words out to you. But my feet are snarled in sentences and I can't quite stand on the paragraphs to muster a decent yell. I am engulfed by language.

There's nothing to do but continue the edit. I just have to keep marching until I get to the end. I know I'll have a far better book once the edit is complete. But it is taking a big toll on my energy levels. At the moment, I am a slave to this book. But so be it. It must be done.

PS: I just realized something and it's a further illustration of how lost I am in this edit. Because it's December in the book, I've been writing December at the head of my journal entries for the entire month of January. It's December, I tell you! December!

4 comments:

Anna Guess Pick said...

Welcome to the YEAR 2011 - Just letting you know your astrological sign MAY have changed.

Happy Editing!

Anna Guess Pick said...

PS - were you able to cast your vote for Casey at the Blogger Award site??

writenow said...

Long story. I emailed you instead of responding here.

Anna Guess Pick said...

Good Morning! I am just making my blog rounds this morning, still too early for me to engage brain fully. I see you are still hard at work in the edit mode - good for you. I will check back later.