January 7, 2011

Drankula!

When I was about six years old, one of the kids in the church schoolyard told me the most interesting thing ever. There was this movie called Drankula!  He was some scary guy who drank people's blood!!! And lived forever!!! It was the most wonderful thing I'd ever heard. It lit up my brain. Drankula! 

It had been on TV the night before and I had missed it!  I was furious. Drankula! It couldn't be. I couldn't have missed it! The pain of this terrible circumstance nearly ruined my life. I could not believe my bad luck. I was doomed. 

I don't know how much time went by before I finally saw the movie. (And hey, it was spelled Dracula!) But seeing the movie was every bit as satisfying as I'd expected. It was the best thing that had ever happened to me. At seven or so, I was mesmerized by Bela and didn't think he was hokey at all. In fact, it was even cooler than I expected! And scary. The darkness, the spider webs, the rats, the castle in a state of total disrepair -- it was wonderful! 

I never see scary anymore and I really miss it. But maybe you have to be a kid to be scared (Republicans aside). So when was the last time you were scared by a movie? My answer is "Long, long ago." In fact, it might have been Drankula.

4 comments:

Anna Guess Pick said...

"Drankula" I love it. There are just some words that children "hear" that are so precious. I wish I would have kept a notebook of the words that my kids and grand kid came up with.

Fridays are my volunteer day, and today was a busy one. Need to wind down and eat.

writenow said...

Isn't it funny how we don't eat when we're we're involved with something? Just doesn't come up. But it sure is nice to get home to that kitchen at the end of the day. You did your work. Enjoy your down-time.

Also glad you liked that song. My favorite line is where he sings, "Off with their heads!" The way he sings it makes me laugh.

Anna Guess Pick said...

Speaking of child-speak (and we were) ever time you write popey guy I read it as poopey guy. lol lol lol

writenow said...

I do too. I see it as a cross between dopey and poopey. Right in the middle.