January 2, 2011

Bon Iver is creativity writ large

I'm amazed by Bon Iver's creativity, just gobsmacked. I only found the group last year but apparently this song came out in 2007.

Justin Vernon is Bon Iver. He's an amazing artist who combines everything from the past in his songs. They're smart. This particular song, called "Woods" is from the first Bon Iver album, For Emma, Forever Ago.

That's one of Vernon's things: his lyrics, like that album title, are evocative while at the same time, they elude common sense. If you look up the lyrics of a song, you'll find they make little sense. I think he treats words like notes, and uses them how he sees fit. I love this guy. Here's the song:


 

7 comments:

Anna Guess Pick said...

Very nice, thanks for the introduction. Things don't have to make sense to be pleasant. I like.

writenow said...

I was originally trying to post another a capella tune, Les Trois Cloches by Piaf. Unfortunately it had a "no embed" notice. Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm3JigL9_ZY

I think the lead male singer who accompanies her is great (and cute).

Glad you liked Bon Iver. All his songs are unique. The album "For Emma, Forever Ago" is the most interesting music I've heard in ten years.

K

Anna Guess Pick said...

Thanks for the link. So sweet I felt like weeping... I love that woman.

All the guys were pretty cute. The one next to the lead male singer looked a really young Robin Williams.

I sent it on to my daughter who is a big Edith Piaf fan, in fact she wants Non, Je ne Regrette Rien played at her funeral.

writenow said...

A wee bit into drama, the child?

writenow said...

Annie, I just watched the Piaf video again to look for your Robin Williams guy. I think he looks more like John Inman in "Are You Being Served" -- the Mr. Humphreys character. I loved him.

Anna Guess Pick said...

You're right he does look Mr. Humphries.

The child - drama - you think? lol

writenow said...

You jogged my memory and you're correct: it's Humphries, not Humphreys. I remember being surprised when the name was on a blackboard or something during an episode. I also recall that Mrs. Slocombe was spelled with and without the E in two episodes. I like it with the e. Anyway, you don't miss much, Annie.