November 12, 2010

Self-publishing? Yup.

I've decided not to submit my books to a traditional publisher. I haven't stated it clearly before now, but I intend to self-publish. I don't have the time do deal with publishers, editors and book tours. I'm going to be 63 this month and I need to spend every minute writing the next books. Plus the time for my books is now, not later. I have no urge to enter into a painfully slow process. Submit your book and maybe we'll get back to you in four months? I don't think so.

There's more to it than this, of course. The pay structure is excellent for self-publishers, with the bulk of the money going to the author. Also, traditional publishers seem to be in denial about the pricing of ebooks, selling them for much more than they should. I'm thinking $2.99 is a good price. I want more people to read it, not less, and that price strikes me as sensible for an intangible thing like an ebook.

As for the benefits of being published by a reputable house, meh. Being famous is not something I crave -- quite the opposite. Awards and fame sound oppressive. As for the basics, I don't need an editor because I edit my work. The only thing a publishing house could do for me is create a cover for the books. But I'll work that out on my own.

That's only touches the surface. Publishers expect things of you and they have rules. I don't do the things other people want me to do. I never have. I'm a loner with his own vision and his own loose rules. While it would be wonderful to meet someone who could give me excellent advice about my writing, that seems a fantasy and I'm not at all convinced I would find this in a publishing house. But mainly, I just don't have time for this.

In the early part of 2011, I will publish "The Worlds". It may take a while for people to find the book without anyone advertising its existence, but I'll do my best to get the word out. And I'll have readers. That's really all I want.

No comments: