November 11, 2010

The only slogan that works

I was feeling worn out today and didn't think I could write.  However, I employed my fabulous mantra -- Drink Espresso and Open Scrivener -- and it worked. It always works.

I wrote the next section of "Ink" today, the book within which my short stories will live. Since there are four short stories to surround, I need five scenes for the "outer" story.  To date, I've done three of the needed scenes and have inserted three short stories within this framework. It's sounding good so far, IMHO. Only one more short story to stick in, meaning I've only got to write two additional scenes and the book is done.

Okay, okay, not the "book", the novella. And is that a sad fate for fiction, or what? If the only thing you can do with short stories is give them away, the novella probably occupies a rung even lower on that ladder. How many readers see "novella" and think, "oh, goodie!"? Uh-huh, it's a bad length.

Nevertheless, I like the idea of writing a book to showcase my short stories. I'll decide what to do with it later.

Thing is, I wrote today, which makes me a major success.

No comments: